Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Giver Blogpost #2

      My question is number 1 when Jonas learns all about colors, he claims "it isn't fair that nothing has color". Why does he say this?
      Answer/Response: Well, my response to this question would be that I, first, have two reasons why I think he said so.

      First, I thought he said so because if he can see colors, then he can have a choice for example buying a red T-shirt or a blue one. But when he can only see black and white, the only difference he would notice is that the red one is slightly darker than the blue one but who  would really care if the red one is darker and the blue one is a bit lighter? It won't stand out either so when someone was trying to find Jonas and he was really wearing a red shirt, someone might easily confuse the blue and the red and end up with another person if they can't see their faces. There was this quote from the book where Jonas said that the world with no colors is unfair and he wants to make choices of his own. "'It's the choosing that's important, isn't it?' The Giver asked him. Jonas nodded. 'My little brother--' he began, and then corrected himself. 'No, that's inaccurate. He's not my brother, not really. But this newchild that my family takes care of--his name's Gabriel?'..., '...and he could choose?...'" Pg. 98.

      The second reason why I think that a world without colors is unfair is because without colors, the humans would have lost so many wonderful things and many other wonderful thing to see to because we can't see any color. It's also unfair because we have lost such a great ability from our eyes too. I thought it was also very hard to make things out especially if you were drawing and all you would draw is probably black and white pictures instead of those colorful painting I did in trimester 1 in art with Mrs Paz. It's also because color would take away most of our choices. "'...I want to wake up in the morning and decide things! A blue tunic, or a red one?' He looked down at himself, at the colorless fabric of his clothing. 'But it's all the same, always.'" Pg. 97.



      I also thought that Jonas's world, the world without colors would be boring too because since I like art and I got A+ on it, then I like pictures and from my point of view is that Jonas's world would probably miss out all those great, colorful paintings made by those famous artists. Even just trying to calm yourself down by looking at the setting sun or something won't work out either because there won't be any colors for their eyes to see except for from black to white. Boring isn't it?

      Well, that's all my reasons why I think Jonas said it was unfair because if I was his, I would have probably said the same thing to The Giver myself too!
Here's the difference between color and no color...:
(These trees are different but you can still see the differences...)


     

Enjoy!
(9/3/11)

2 comments:

  1. Zifan, you need to put the sources for the pictures!!!You have too long sentences such as for the introduction of the second reason. You got some grammatical errors such as in the first sentence of the conclusion which was his to him. You should have changed his to him... By the way, you should've deleted one of the "wonderful things" because you have two of them. When you said "Here's the difference between color and no color...:", white is actually a color and black isn't... Except for these things, you did a well-structured three paragraphs...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zifan, I think you did a good job on this although next time, you could slow down and after check your work. That would really help. Although Mrs. Narsiman isn't taking points off for gramatical errors, it would help if you got used to it because I'm sure when your'e in seventh grade, grammatical errors will count. Other than that, you had a lot of evidence and your post was really clear. Good job.

    ReplyDelete